Around The Block Playwriting Course
Around The Block will be offering a playwriting course: Principles of Playwriting – what they are and how to apply them.
Topics covered will include:The participatory course will be taught by Carlos Jerome. The fully accessible location is in the Flatiron district.
- nature, pros and cons of theatre and playwriting as distinct from other art forms
- the audience–play relationship
- theater history
- Structure of a play
- Comedy, farce, tragedy, drama, dramedy, short and long plays, improv
- thought/ideas expressed
- characters and relationships
- dialogue and stage action
- formatting, rewriting, feedback, getting produced and/or published
The course will meet each week, Saturdays, 10:30 am – 1 pm, starting March 4, for 15 weeks.
Registration fee will be $300. Scholarships and discounts will be available.
The course welcomes students at all levels of playwriting experience.
To apply, send an email containing your contact info and a statement of something you would like to learn to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Send no money at this time.)Attach:
- a theatrically oriented resume
- a 5 page segment of a script you have written (if you have never written a script, attach some other writing you have done).